Thursday, June 28, 2007

What makes you the "go to guy?"

I read an article recently about a very successful financial planner that over time became the "go to guy" for a very specific market. If you had anything to do with this man's niche market, he was the guy you went to for all matters financial. He was indeed the go to guy for not only his niche market but for anyone that could get an appointment with him.

It got me thinking about all the experiences I have had in both my professional and personal life over the last 15 to 20 years. I have known a lot of "go to guys" - both men and women. These are the people that you rely on for advice, counsel, or just rely on when you need them for whatever the issue. I began to make a list of names of my go to people.

There have been quite a few over the years.
Tim, H.K., Tom, Joe, Jim, Steve, Steve, Steve, Lori, Lori, Julie, Nancy......you all know who you are.

A couple things became clear to me... I know a lot of "Steves" and the following -

Yes, my life has been filled with great go to people, but what made them that way? Was it because of my personal relationship with them? No, because they were the go to people for many others. Were they all millionaires, with large fortunes amassed because of their wise business decisions? No, only one on my list was a true millionaire, at least that I am aware of. Was it that they were trained experts, extensively academically educated in their field? Well, to be honest, one of the guys on my list held a PhD. but that's not why he was on my list.

I believe that the real reason all of the people ended up on my list was that they were experts in life experience. It didn't matter what degree they held, what school they went to, how much money was in their bank account, the status that they carried with them, or how many friends they had. What mattered was that when I needed them - they were there with sound advice based on experience.

It was always what I needed to hear, not always what I wanted to hear.

So here's a thought for you, what makes you a "go to" person? Think about this question before you answer - what really makes you a "go to" person?

1 comment:

Sandy of Sandy's Stuff for Women said...

I'm new to your blog, but I think I'm gonna like it!

I think (hope) that I'm the "go to gal" for maternity clothes - while going through the Certified Networker course last year, I chose pregnant women as my target market.

So now at BNI, WEN, CN and other events, that's about all I talk about. And when my non-pregnant customers come into the store, they not only see a huge display and racks and racks of maternity, but they also get a 'bag stuffer' asking them to help me find more maternity customers.