Monday, June 25, 2007

Yes, mother, I write like I speak....

I had breakfast Saturday morning with a friend of mine. She mentioned that she was reading my blog and enjoyed reading it because it was like hearing me tell the story. She said on a couple of occasions, "I could just hear you saying that."

PERFECT. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. GOAL ACHIEVED!

That is EXACTLY what I wanted people to say about my writing.

Here's a writing secret for you that a lot of the newer business, motivational and self development authors are adhering to. Write like you talk. Yes, I said, write like you talk.

On the other hand, my mother, who is still asking me to define exactly what a "blog" is, struggles with my writing style. In her feedback and commentary she said that she enjoyed reading my blog but that I had to watch my use of dangling prepositions.

WHAT? A dangling what? Okay, Mrs. Walter, my English and grammar teacher from grade school through high school would probably say the same thing. And yes, I had the same English teacher through all those grades - not because of my academic skill but when you only have 69 kids in your graduation class and come from a pretty small school, you have the same teachers over and over.

While I am sure that Mrs. Walter would take issue with my grammar, here is something that I am sure would make her proud. When I was in the 7th grade I walked into Mrs. Walter's classroom, above the chalkboard, in tall letters taped to the wall was the word that would change my life. THINK. Yes, there it was bigger than life. THINK.

Of course a bunch of 7th graders sat there and looked at it and really didn't get it. Mrs. Walter stated the following very bluntly and boldly; "Class you are in the 7th grade now and this is what you will learn from me. People, you will learn how to think." And we did. In fact, on my desk in my office is a little wooded sign with the word THINK in big letters. I look at it everyday and every day I THINK.

There are a lot of life lessons learned from Mrs. Walter but my point today is simple.
I write like I talk, because this is how I think. I don't think in terms of dangling prepositions, grammar and where the periods and commas go. I think in terms of the message I want you to hear and take away. I write like I talk so there is never any confusion about my message. Whatever it is, you have my guarantee it will always be one that I took the time to THINK about.

What do you THINK about that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracee, this post makes me laugh.

You are absolutely correct. Especially when authoring a blog, it's more important for you to bring out your unique personality to your readers. While they certainly have their place elsewhere, grammar and punctuation rules can be bent quite a bit on a blog!

For me, though, because of what I do, that idea has been one of my biggest challenges.

So, kudos to you!

Sandy of Sandy's Stuff for Women said...

I know just what you mean.

A friend recently e-mailed me and said she liked my "blog personality." I was flattered because I think my real personality and my blog personality are one and the same.

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree.

Writing that includes grammatical mistakes leaves a bad impression on the reader. Blogging is no exception.