Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Routines

What is it about changes in our routine that makes us want to run for the hills and hide in a cave?

It seems that I am bound and determined to go through each and every day totally different from the previous day.

I used to have a routine. Stuff I did at the same time every day. Each day of the week. Now, not so much.

Are things out of balance?
Are the wheels coming of the cart?
Are the monkeys that secretly help me direct my ship all jumping overboard?

No...I don't think so.

I think it's that this is the day and age we live in. My life, your life, the life of those around you may never be subject to routine again. And I think that's okay.

It's okay if Monday is different from Tuesday which is definitely different from Saturday or Thursday. It's really okay if you thought you could do the same things at the same time each day and now realize that you can not.

I think we need to stop worrying so much about getting into the routine of living everyday and go about just living everyday.

Sure we need to plan and make lists and check things off of lists. That just common sense. But I don't think we need to plan, plan, plan every single day down to the minute.

A little secret about a change in my routine....
I used to routinely, without fail, write all of my appointments, contacts, notes and task lists down in my Franklin Planner. I recently got a new Palm Smart phone. While the smart phone does make me feel, well, less than smart at times, it has become a great tool to get me out of my routine. I use it now for everything, all of my appointments, calendar, contacts, oh yeah and it's a cell phone too. I don't have to carry my planner anymore. This has lightened my load a great deal in the briefcase.

My new routine though...remembering to sinc the phone! (ok, so there is a catch) but it was a nice move on my part to push me into getting more into the technology age that we are living in. Pushing the boundaries and barriers of my routine has turned out to be a great learning experience.

Are there barriers and boundaries that are holding you back in the form of a routine. Is there a change that you should try? What can you do to push yourself beyond being reliant on a daily routine?

1 comment:

Louise Kahle said...

A bit of routine in life is essential for staying grounded, but beyond that I approach every day with some flexibility (I may need a nap). You never know what might turn up. Life is an adventure meant to be lived with joy and passion.
Be alive every moment! Too often we miss the present moment because we are thinking about what we need to do later or rehashing something that happened in the past.
Read the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.