Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Can working in your PJs really be work?

Can you really work well in your PJs?
I have been pondering this question for the last few weeks. Perhaps it's not so much that I want to work in my pajamas as much as it is I am wondering if I should have my office in my home.

Recently, I relocated my office to a building closer to home, no, not in my home, but my official office is in a building that I pay rent for in the town that I live in. I love the building and have great relationships with the people that work in the building. So there's no issue there.

But what keeps running through my mind is this. Does it matter where your office is these days? With the entire "World is Flat" concept that follows the idea that everyone is or can be connected no matter where they live or work through better technology...does it matter where in the world you work from?

In search of opinions on this topic I have started to ask around. I have started talking to a few people that I knew would have not only an opinion but a really darn good reason for their opinion. I have first posed this question to Networking Guru, Debby Peters. Debby was quick to answer my question...with a question. Don't you just love those?!

After explaining that this topic had come up from some of my clients and that I had been pondering it myself Debby was then quick to give her answer. "I tell people my office is in Perrysburg, which it is, it just happens to be in my home in Perrysburg." Contining on Debby explained that it was better for her business this way. She can keep her overhead costs down, pass on that savings to her clients and that she really doesn't keep "normal" office hours. Being a self proclaimed workaholic she can work anytime/all the time she wants from her home office then retreat within a few steps to her easy chair with her vast library to read.

Of course, Debby, the Networking Guru, is hardly ever in an actual office...she is out NETWORKING! Good answers from Debby for me to consider.

Moving on...I have posed this question to others but what are your thoughts on home offices?
Do they work?
If you have one, do you have any tricks to share about actually getting work done?
Have you recently moved from a home office to an actual rented/owned office space? Why?

Let me know your thoughts as I continue to ponder this myself.

3 comments:

Debby said...

Well, here it is 9:35 PM and yes I am in my office. Not really "working," working, but trying to catch up on blog posts of my favorites! Also need to write my posts and tonight will ready my BNI commercial for tomorrow morning. Now, I don't really need to be sitting at my desk to do this, but it just seems so much easier. Steve is in the next room, I can hear the sounds of the tv, but it is not blaring in my ear. He's happy and I'm happy. Home offices make for happy couples, too!

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of Debby's comments, from keeping overhead low to keeping peace with your spouse--even when we work together in the same home office.

My only other comment: Even though I have a great home office space, very conducive to getting the job done, I never work in my PJs. It would not put me in the right mindset. I find that when I'm dressed more professionally, more work gets done.

Sandy of Sandy's Stuff for Women said...

My husband has his office in our home. And he, too, never works in his PJs. He's usually showered and dressed for an hour or two before he even dares to wake me.

I don't think I could be productive at home. Although I do a lot on the computer at home at night and on "days off (HA!), the TV and my books are just too tempting. I need a healthy dose of self-discipline.